Recipe for Saving a Wet Cell Phone

How do you dry out a cell phone?

If you have never soaked a cell phone in the outdoors, you probably don’t fish enough to read this blog or its going to happen this weekend and just jinxed yourself!  All kidding aside, I actually have a recipe for recovering a soaked cell phone.

Whether it was left in a boat compartment that wasn’t so water tight, your rain coat pockets took on a little water or you just fell in the water with your phone in your pocket.  Unfortunately, I think I have had all these happen to me.

So below you will find a 10 step recipe to saving your expensive cell phone:

Step 1 – Get yourself out of the water. (Feel free to skip step 1 if you did not fall in)
Step 2 – Get phone out of water and open it up & take battery and memory cards out.
Step 3 – Wrap everything in something dry; keep it away from any more moisture
Step 4 – Wait until your wife is out of the kitchen
Step 5 – Place battery in a bag of white rice & seal it up
Step 6 – Get two cookie sheets
Step 7 – Place empty cookie sheet on bottom rack closest to burners (see setup photo above)
Step 8 – Spread out all components of your phone except for battery on cookie sheet & place on top rack
Step 9 – Set oven to 150°F & bake for 8-12 hours
Step 10 – Let it cool and put back together, fire it up and smile, you just saved $300!

This is no joke, it really works.  If your oven won’t go down that low with its settings like mine, get an oven thermometer with an external display and then you can cycle it on and off to keep the temperature low enough.  Cell phones are designed to operate at temperatures around 160°F so that is why baking the moisture out of it works so well.

Try it, it should save you some money and some headaches!  Comment below if you have some better tips, but I don't really think the bag of rice thing works that well.  I think this is the Best Way to dry out a mobile phone that gets soaked whether in a lake, your pocket or the washing machine.

Trackbacks
  • Trackbacks are closed for this post.
Comments
Page: 1 of 1
  • 6/27/2011 6:54 AM MNAngler wrote:
    A very timely post. I read this on Friday and my digital camera got water logged over the weekend. I'm hoping the process can work for electronics other than cell phones.
    1. 6/29/2011 10:22 PM Rich Lindgren wrote:
      I do not see why not, after all, cell phones have digital cameras in them and I would assume they are designed to operate under similar temperatures.  Got nothing to lose!
  • 7/4/2011 2:59 PM MN GH wrote:
    This reminds me when I lost my phone in a snow bank. I found it three weeks later, and used the stove. Only half the phone worked but I tried.
  • 7/14/2011 6:02 PM jerry trail wrote:
    i have probably done just about everything to a cell phone that you can do.dropped in water,dropped in a bucket of anti freeze,and actually ran over one pulling a car up onto a rollback.needless to say,i was very interested in your article.
  • 7/26/2011 3:14 PM Kevin wrote:
    Sounds like a neat trick, but I'm confused about the purpose of the empty cookie sheet on the bottom rack. Is that just reflecting heat?
    1. 7/26/2011 7:31 PM Rich Lindgren wrote:
      Yep, just to keep the phone from getting too much of a direct heat blast when the oven cycles.
  • 8/14/2011 8:08 PM tony wrote:
    Great trick got to try it,could save me so money.
  • 8/26/2011 1:57 AM Tom wrote:
    If I get my phone wet, what's the best way to bring it back to life?
  • 3/26/2012 8:12 PM def526 wrote:

importance of reliable level technology is obvious pertaining to veterinarians and canine caregivers. An dog's weight is a important element in detecting medical issues as well as in determining the strength of treatments and diet plan. In the veterinarian's arena, scales must also always be durable and easy to utilize, enabling a quick and precise weight formula, of animals which are typically scared or even excited and trying to leave. It is critical that the level is quickly accessible and not complicated along with moving parts and adjustments,http://trendables.com/2011/02/28/my-oscar-has-a-first-name-and-its-.aspx/, so any scared pet jump on and off without a prolonged incident as well as restraint. Small canine scales are also encountered with quite a bit of drool and also urination from puppies, cats and other creatures. Because of this it is necessary in order to thoroughly and continuously clean and sanitize your scales which produce the need for scales which are water-resistant. Fortunately, there are several range designs that are particularly for use with the two large and small animals that can be employed on the floor,http://kimathome.org/2006/08/11/lunch-after-nails-and-nailed-after-after-lunch.aspx/, with an examination table or maybe a desk. These types of scales allow caregivers with the idea to walk the animal upon or place them after, a flat and unimposing size that registers a quick reading.Another facet that veterinarians need with their scales is often a large and evidently visible display. Your assistant will usually position an animal on the scale while the veterinarian or another assistant documents the results. A large present also permits a single person to accomplish weighing along with record-keeping, freeing up doctors and staff for various other tasks which saves time and money.Locating reputable veterinary scales that supply performance and trustworthiness in the challenging establishing of a veterinary place of work can be difficult, as many machines are limited to what dimensions and precisions of way of measuring they can handle. The good news is, Arlyn Scales hosts a full line of accurate as well as versatile small dog scales that fluctuate in weight potential and size via 10 pounds to animals as big as 500 as well as 1000 pounds.Arlyn Weighing machines features the 320-VET along with the 620-VET models, both tough and accurate walk-on weighing machines that feature large digital camera displays,www.buylebronjames9shoes.com/, which can be put where best observed by examiners. Each style include a rugged metal construction and no-slip patches to hold them set up, as well as precisi

• 3/27/2012 9:30 AM Terry wrote:
    The most important thing is not to try to turn it on once it's been wet. You have to dry it out first before even attempting to turn it on.
  • 3/11/2013 8:39 AM CD wrote:
    Interesting post and thanks for sharing. Some things in here I have not thought about before.Thanks for making such a cool post which is really very well written.will be referring a lot of friends about this.Keep blogging.

Page: 1 of 1